Isn’t it strange how the very connotation of Diwali — the festival of lights — has changed to a festival of pollution, noise, litter and nuisance over the years? Come Diwali and environment condition of the city or the country starts worsening. Thanks to the firecrackers emitting heavy clouds of smoke, debris, and chemicals harmful for health of human beings, animals and nature.
What's worse is that the smoke has its effect even days after the festival is over. The debris after the Diwali day is enormous which adds to problems like stagnation of sewage drains, if not cleared properly. A MENACE I THE LOCALITY.Noise levels cross-deafening limits. its sleepless night but a forcefull one.The situation gets normalised in a day or two.
Stranger is the fact that after burning up thousands of rupees for the fleeting fun of firecrackers, all you get in return is loads of pollution and perhaps even some hospital bills. Keeping religious and cultural values intact, perhaps what’s most required is a serious approach towards fireworks and a more controlled or licensed usage.
Environment gets affected in the following way
- Air Pollution affecting health especially to diseased persons, aged people, children & pregnant women.
- Water & land pollution will pollute our resources rivers, lakes.
- It takes several weeks to bring back normal air quality.
- Fire hazards causing heavy damages to life and property.
- Social nuisance leading to community disharmony.
- Sound pollution causes: Palpitation of heart Spasms of the digestive system Dilation of the pupils of eyes Emotional disturbances Continuous exposure to loud noise may lead to permanent deafness.
Pollutants Can lead to...Suspended Particulate MatterAsthma, cancer, restrictive lung diseases, pneumoconiosisRespirable Particulate MatterRespiratory illness (chronic bronchitis and asthma), heart diseasesSulpher Dioxide (SO2)Eye burning, headache, respiratory problems like pulmonary emphysema, cancer, heart diseasesNitrous OxidesLung irritation, chest tightness, viral infection, airway resistance.Before you burst crackers to mark your cultural and religious rights, take a peep into the contents and its resultant health hazard. It’s just a synopsis... the details are even worse.
- High SPM exposure: Headache and reduced mental acuity.
- Sulphur Dioxide and Nitrogen Dioxide: Respiratory allergies like asthma High decibel sound: Restlessness, anger, anxiety, allergic bronchitis, acute exacerbation of bronchial asthma, chronic bronchitis.
- Copper: Irritation in the respiratory tract Cadmium: Can damage kidneys, cause anaemia and increase blood pressure.
- Lead: After ingestion can affects central nervous system, can cause cancer of lungs and kidneys, young children can suffer mental retardation and semi-permanent brain damage by exposure. Zinc: Human skin irritant and effects pulmonary system. Large amounts taken by mouth may produce nausea, vomiting.